10.08.2007

Broken Bones

I broke my collar bone badly and had to have surgery on it. Fun.

I was racing at the Lapham Peak CX race on 9/29. It was a gorgeous day, and a unique ride. The race was two parts; a hill climb in the morning followed by a cx TT in the afternoon. I did well on the hill climb, think I cleared second in my category. In the afternoon the TT was going fantastic, I was really moving when I suddenly went over my bars to the left and hit the ground. Hard. Read hard. I got up right away and though about getting back on, but I was clutching my left clavicle and new I was out for the count. Riders kept going by and most asked if I was ok, I said no and they all kept riding to let someone know. I really appreciated it. Got back to the starting lot and went to the ER. Had an xray taken and it looked something like this .... dang, can't upload it. Will do later.

This all happened on a Sat, on Monday morning I had surgery. They installed a plate and 8 screw to put the bone back together. I'm like a brand new man now.

I gotta be honest, I'm a little disappointed. First it was my first cx race and its not the best showing. Second, it really puts me out of commission for awhile. Third, I had bought a new bike specifically for cx, and now it is just sitting in my apt. On the bright side, its fall and I really want to focus on the road season next spring, so its not that big of a deal.

No comments: