8.05.2007

8/5/07 Workout

Plan was to get up this morning and take about a 100 mile ride out to Holy Hill with some friends. Woke up to rain, went back to bed and slept like a rock. It was like Santa Claus came in the night!

So I sat around all morning, cleaned, surfed online, and watched tv... mostly sat. Eventually I got ready to workout ... nice of me to pick the hottest part of the day.

Swam first, about 2500 yds, descending sets starting at 500 yds. Actually had a fantastic workout. The pool I often swim at is just too warm for me. I like the water cooler, keeps you a bit more on edge. The warm water makes me just a bit lethargic, maybe i'll write a letter ... but I digress. Good swim, shoulders are a tad sore just sitting here at the moment.

Then came the run. It was long, by my standards, 6.5 miles and it was muggy. Down south muggy. It's cooled down the past few days in the Brew City, but the humidity is unbearable. I was soaked for my entire 1 hour run ... even resorted to drinking out of the public fountains lined along the lake front. By the time I got back to my car I was spent, about ready to can out.

Came home, put my favorite Cyclo-Core stretching dvd in and stretched for a bit. I think this may have been the highlight of the day, it felt real good to stretch those hamstrings out a little.

Today's workout is part of my plan to increase volume over the next 6 weeks in prep for my half Ironman. I was encouraged today. The swim will be fine. I can bike in my sleep. And the fact that the 6.5 miles today, while hot, were very bearable was a good sign.

No comments: